Popular Posts

Saturday 11 April 2015

Is there any evidence for different learning style?

Teachers are often made aware of the VAK theory or Gardener's Theory of Multiple intelligences at 'Teacher school'. Indeed, I've seen teachers organise their classrooms in this manner. As a trainee, I was encouraged to plan lessons that ensure there were activities that linked to different learning styles. Whilst reading Willingham's work  (2009) 'Why Don't student's learn?' he makes the strong claim that these theories cannot be neatly linked to classroom practice. Whilst I won't deny that people might have a preferred way of accessing new information, I don't think we have a specific way of learning. I think the work of Carol Dweck would agree with me who stresses 'practice' and hard work as a means to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment